Wednesday 20 May 2009

ATP Release the Bats, Forum, 30/10/08

Lightning Bolt

Arrived too late to get in a good viewing position for the band, so trundled up to the balcony with all the others who had not yet gained 'giant' status. Leaning over the balcony I was greeted with a semi circle of moshing heads, the musical provocateurs barely visible beneath the baying mob. But boy was it loud. Ear splittingly loud scattergun drumming and a holocaust of guitar noise, utterly relentless in its endeavour. This is Lightning Bolt. I guess the duo want the audience to have as much a visceral, open musical experience as possible, hence why they choose to play 'in audience'. If you're looking for easy on the ear melodies, then search elsewhere. It was kinda fun watching all the crowd moshing like crazy (there was spectacular group of Japanese moshers at the front), but I 'm not sure I could listen to these guys at home.

Pissed Jeans

Pretty rubbish. Noisy but no discernible melodies. The aural equivalent of nails down corrugated iron. My friend told me they were ripping off Jesus Lizard. Jesus Lizard aren't this bad, surely?

Wooden Shijps

Very much enjoyed these guys. They looked exactly like you would hope- a bunch of aging hippies with grey beards. The group are from San Francisco and play trippy psychedelic krautrock. When the band get into full flow and its hard not to get lulled in to a trance like state. The music is so woozy and and the repetitive rhythms so intoxicating, yet it sounds so simple.

Les Savy Fav

I'm a bit late to the party with Les Savy Fav- but what a party it is. Prior to RTB I'd heard about LSF's stage antics and was excited. What I didn't expect was possibly the most fun gig I've ever witnessed. Post punk....new wave....yada yada yada- let's get onto Tim Harrington doing crazy stuff! Well, lets see: Stripping down to his shorts? Check. Faux humping a deranged devil baby? Check. Hanging upside down from the balcony? Check. Faux humping a papier mache Tim Harrington? Check. Lunging at me and grabbing me by the neck? Check.

Just the most funnest fun you can do for fun.

Shellac

I haven't listened to much Shellac at all really. So I'm in no position to comment. But I will anyway! Revered by Albini fanboys the world over, Shellac aren't averse to a bit of playful dressing up, and here they are as a mummy (Albini), Frankenstein's Monster and Dracula. Shellac's music, of little I've heard of it, is stark and nihilistic sounding. Stilted, stop start drumbeats, and blunt guitars, like it was conceived in a gutter. The set is pretty brutal, and the fanboys are jerking their heads back and forth with devoted vigour. Why not be a Shellac fanboy for the night?

Om

Only saw the first song. Well, I say song, but it seemed almost as long as my life. But it was good. The guitar droned on and on and on, and the guitarist was telling this story in a deep, ominous voice. I have no clue what it was about, but he could be the new JK Rowling.

No comments: